Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Fabric Covered Button Template

When I first started making fabric covered buttons, I looked all over the internet for templates. I was able to find plastic ones that looked really cool but I was too impatient to wait for them to arrive in the mail. Plus I wanted every size which was a bit more than what I wanted to spend at the time for all those plastic templates. So I decided to make my own fabric covered button templates. I ended up getting the dimensions from Dritz and made them using a program on the computer to create perfect circles. I also put the button size, inch, and millimeter measurements on each template for easy reference since I'm always forgetting what the conversions are. I just made the fabric covered button templates available in my shop. Below is one of the ways to set them up. There's many ways to do it, you can just print on paper and use or print on cardstock and laminate, which is how I like to do it, or any other way your desire.

First, you'll need the fabric covered button template (I print mine on cardstock to give it some weight), a sheet of self seal laminate, and a pair of scissors.

















Cut the template along the dotted line. You can laminate and then cut but I prefer to cut the template first then laminate and cut again. It does require more cutting but I found that when it gets too thick, it's harder to cut a more perfect circle, especialy the smaller inner circles. When you cut the paper first then laminate, the scissors glide along the cut you already made as you cut the laminate.

















After you cut the templates, cut two pieces of laminate about the size of the template. Peel backing off one piece of laminate and place the template on it. Then peel the second sheet of laminate and place on top of the other sheet to sandwich the template. Smooth out and cut off excess laminate.


















Now it is ready for use. The inner circle shows you what the button will look like. The outter circle is the amount of fabric you need to cut to make the button.













The fabric covered template sheet will give you 7 templates from 2 inch covered buttons down to 1/2 inch buttons. Each size is a different color to easily distinguish between the sizes.



















The fabric covered button template is also available in black and white.

1 comment:

  1. please remove this from your blog. this is my patented invention.

    http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=9364049.PN.&OS=PN/9364049&RS=PN/9364049

    ReplyDelete